Bomb threats are taken very seriously by the Division of Public Safety. If you receive a call from anyone making such a threat, please act immediately.
- Remain calm.
- If the threat is received by phone, try to remember as much information about the phone call as possible.
- Immediately call Penn Police at 215-573-3333. Use a cell phone if possible, in case you are required to evacuate. If you do not have one, then call 511 from a campus phone.
- Follow the instructions from emergency personnel.
Documents & Resources
Harassing or threatening phone calls can be traced if you receive that call on a University phone line. If you receive a bomb threat, being able to trace the call can drastically aid Penn police in their investigation of the incident.
First, get the Call Trace feature! You can not use this feature until you first activate it. To do so, request the feature in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can do this at anytime and it is a good feature to have on your phone.
Follow these steps to get the call trace feature and use it should an you ever receive a threatening or harassing phone call:
- After hanging up with the threatening caller, immediately call the Penn Police, however, if you are able to call from your cell phone or a different line, then do so.
- After following all instructions from the Penn Police, or if you are able to while on the the Phone, pick up the phone that the threatening call came in from and dial 257.
- Remember, your personal safety comes first! If you are told to evacuate the building, do so immediately.