Safety Strategies – How to Respond to a Carjacking Encounter
We wish to share the following information for safely responding to a carjacking encounter. DPS is working in partnership with the Philadelphia Police Department to educate and protect the community about the increase in these events.
Always remember – your vehicle can be replaced. You are irreplaceable!
Situations to be mindful about:
- Getting in & out of a vehicle.
- When parking your vehicle.
- Gas stations.
- Cars double parked or left running in the street.
- Parking locations with poor lighting.
- Faked car accidents.
- Be aware of your surroundings, including people and conditions in your area.
- Start your car and drive away immediately.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Keep your windows rolled up and doors locked.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel unsafe, leave the area and call police.
- Keep your cell phone in your pocket to call police easily.
- Don’t stop for stranded motorists. Note their location and call 911 or 215-573-3333 in the Penn Patrol Zone to provide them with assistance.
If you are a victim of a carjacking:
- Give up your car & leave the scene.
- Avoid verbal and physical confrontations.
- Make a mental note of suspect’s description.
- Call Penn Police (215-573-3333) or 911 when it is safe to do so.
Your vehicle can be replaced. You are irreplaceable!